IGTV is Instagram’s new vertical video platform.
You can find it in the top right corner of Instagram or through the individual IGTV app.
Essentially IGTV is Instagram’s version of YouTube. It’s truly a smart launch move considering 78% of all mobile data traffic is predicted to come from mobile video by 2021.
What’s so special about IGTV anyway & why all the talk about this new feature?
In this blog post I am going to share with you everything you need to know about IGTV Video & why it’s such an asset for your brand or business on social media!
1.) IGTV is for vertical video only
– Unlike it’s YouTube competitor, IGTV content is in vertical orientation! It takes up the entire smartphone screen space, just like Instagram Stories.
2.) IGTV allows videos longer than 60 seconds
– Unlike when posting on your Instagram feed where videos can only be 60 seconds in length, IGTV content can be up to 60 minutes! I recently found out that creators with larger follower amount can upload 1-hour videos where as most everyone is cut off at the 10 minute mark for IGTV video content.
3.) There’s a future game plan
– Instagram’s CEO Kevin Systrom has said that IGTV ads are in the cards for the future of the platform and creators will eventually be able to earn money from their content! I don’t know about you, but that seems to be a valid reason why we should start producing content for IGTV now that way our channels are ready for ads when that feature comes out!
4.) Video is constantly playing
– As soon as you’re on IGTV, a video is going to begin playing based on people you follow & what videos they’ve recently uploaded to IGTV or based on what the IG algorithm thinks you would enjoy watching.
5.) People stay on the platform
– Content creators have been complaining about YouTube’s “Adpocalypse”, their declining revenue and not to mention the difficulty with new channels getting people to leave one site and watch their content on another – people are anxious to try something new. With IGTV, your audience doesn’t have to do any extra work or leave one site to go to another. They can consume your content right there and then.
6.) There’s engagement
– People can like your videos, leave comments and share your IGTV content! As a content creator on the channel, you’ll be able to view your analytics and make decisions about future videos to drive up interaction.
7.) It’s easy to start
– I personally found it 10x easier to set up an IGTV channel than a YouTube channel! In three simple steps of signing in, going to IGTV & clicking “Create Channel” – you’re then ready to upload your first video! Not to mention uploading a video straight from your camera roll is super convenient too. For new video creators, it’s also easy to CANVA to create thumbnails for your videos within minutes.
What do you think? Are you going to give vertical video content a try?